Sunday, February 26, 2012

Need help on dog training, need really dog trainers!?

I'm a dog trainer for petco. I have a kelpie mix in my class. (if you dont know what a kelpie is please look it up and read about the breed) I have readed up on them and I know that they are not good family dogs. He is ok at the first part of class and in the middle is when he start to change. He becomes aggressive he stop listening to me or any other women around. He bits the female ower, her two little girls, and me. I dont let any of the other owners touch when he get in to that werid change. I dont want them get hurt. I have noticed that the male owner is mean. The dog show sign of being scared around him. I have got on to him about hitting the dog when it didnt minded him. I'm to the point of just giving up on the dog but most the family. I know I shouldnt give up and I dont want. I tell them to do one thing and the dad does the other. So what do I do? How do I get this dog to stop bitting?

I hate shock collar and I had people tell me to do what Ceaser Milan does. I know there are people that love him but Im sorry, Im not a big fan. Plus I dont think you should ever lay a hand on a dog to train them.Need help on dog training, need really dog trainers!?
I'm a trainer for Petco too. Have you got a mentor in your store or district that you can call and ask for advice? Kelpies are herders so it could be that he's just "herding" his family, stress, or aggression. In any case, it sounds like you're uncomfortable working with this dog and his family because of the biting and the owner hitting him. Talk to your manager and tell him/her what's going on and suggest a dog behaviorist. If this dog has bitten you, it's probably time to send him to someone that can figure out why he's biting and then work from there.Need help on dog training, need really dog trainers!?
You are fighting a losing battle with the owner and the dog, If you can get the owner to comply the dog wont comply either. Try the ultra sound device for training the dog? Try the cattle prod for the owner.Need help on dog training, need really dog trainers!?
Different dogs need different training methods, If he is afraid and biting with the class, then no punishment. Have the people give him treats to say "Hey, people aren't that bad." And spend time with him to get him to trust you. If it is a dominance aggression, then I'm sorry but you need to use force to show the dog that it is not the boss, once he is submissive to you and others he will not dare to bite, because he is not the alpha of the pack. Don't beat the dog, but if he snaps dominantly then a good smack should be handed to him. Also, when he stares at you, stare back. Yes this is a challenge, and if you hold your ground, and he looks away, then you have him being submissive and he understands that his behavior and challenges aren't going to be tolerated. If you find yourself not being able to handle this, then do everyone a favor and research a more qualified trainer, or animal behaviorist for this family and refund their money.Need help on dog training, need really dog trainers!?
This whole situation is beyond both you AND the owners.
Either direct them to a professional, or urge them to give up this dog.

You are right about one thing, this is NOT a family pet.

Kelpies do not need shock collars. They need a figure of authority in their lives. They also need JOBS. A mom and dad with kids is not that.

No comments:

Post a Comment